- For vocalists ages 13-18
- June 29-July 9, 2017
- Mount St. Mary’s University, Los Angeles, CA
- $1995 (includes food and lodging)
- Scholarships available (we’ve been able to accomodate all accepted students in previous years!)
- NOTE: Students who will be high school seniors in the 2016-2017 school year ARE eligible, but students who will be college (university) freshmen during the 2016-2017 school year are not eligible.
AUDITION VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
Please make sure your video is edited together in the following order:
- Say hello! Tell us your name, age, voice part, and where you’re from.
- Main skill
- If you are primarily a solo/part singer, sing two contrasting solos for us, unaccompanied. We want to hear your tone, phrasing, intonation, personality, and energy. Have fun with these and pick songs that are in your comfort zone, we want to see you at your best! Just a verse/chorus of each song is plenty. No Musical Theatre or Classical pieces, please.
- If you are primarily a beatboxer/vocal percussionist, please give us a demonstration (approx 2-3 mins), which can include anything and everything you’re comfortable with (straight-ahead beats, fills, freestyle beatboxing, etc). ALSO, please include a segment where you do a simple beat at a comfortable tempo along with a metronome. No need to be flashy for this part, we just want to see that you can keep a solid tempo.
- If you are primarily a bass singer, sing us a bass line using bass syllables (dm, doom, bm, ba, etc.) and also a bass vocal solo. The bass line can be something you just make up, or it can be an existing bass line. For the bass vocal solo, think along the lines of Old Man River, but it can be any song in any style. We just want to hear you sing a low range solo with lyrics. For both of these demonstrations, we’re looking for tone, pitch accuracy, and style. Note: if you are a bass with a higher solo register, you will also have the opportunity to show that to us as your secondary skill (see below).
- Part singing
- First, download the materials HERE (or HERE if that zip file doesn’t work for you.)
- Use the learning tracks and sheet music to learn whichever of the 4 parts suits your voice best. (Beatboxers must sing for this.)
- Pay attention to the phrasing, dynamics, and inflections of the voices on the demo, and do your best to blend with them.
- Once you have it learned, play the performance track for your part and sing along with it (your part will be missing from this track, you fill it in with your voice). When you record yourself doing this, we want to hear mostly you, but also the performance track in the background as well. You don’t need to have it memorized.
- Sing along with our scale guides (right click and “save link as” to download these: SCALES GOING UP and SCALES GOING DOWN) and stop singing once you can’t sing any higher or lower. Don’t be shy, just go for it, we know the extreme ranges aren’t always gonna be pretty! For scales going up, sing “eeee-aaahh” and use your chest/mix voice as high as you can, and then flip into head voice and continue. For scales going down, sing “yah yah yah yah yah”. If this is confusing, check out some of our auditions on YouTube.
- Secondary skill (optional)
- If you are a solo/part singer and you also can sing bass and/or beatbox, show us what you got! If not, just skip this step.
- If you are a bass or beatboxer, please sing a solo for us as your secondary skill. (For basses, this should be more of a baritone-range solo.)
- Also, if you are a bass who can beatbox or a beatboxer who can sing bass, show us that as well!
- Misc. skills (optional)
- If you have any other special vocal skills, demonstrate them here. This can be literally anything you want! Scatting, singing in another language, original songs, multitrack video harmonizing with yourself, instrument imitation, throat singing, sound effects, vocal impersonations, etc! Instruments/tracks are okay for this section if it’ll help showcase one of your skills.
- Personal statement
- Briefly tell us why you’re interested in coming to A Cappella Academy, and what you think you would add to camp!
***If you are recording your video with a webcam, make sure to adjust your microphone input level so that the sound doesn’t distort. On a Mac, go into System Preferences > Sound > Input tab and lower the input volume.
***Your video can either be in one complete take OR edited together. The audio must remain raw and untouched – no EQ, compression, reverb, or pitch correction of any kind. We want to hear you as you sound in the room.
Once you have completed and uploaded your video to YouTube, you are ready to fill out our application! If you will need a scholarship, please also fill out our scholarship form!
We charge a $20 application fee ($15 if you submit by Dec 1) so that we may carefully consider and process each individual applicant. After you submit your application, you will be provided with a PayPal link, if you do not complete this transaction, your application will not be processed.
EARLY BIRD AUDITION DEADLINE ($5 off application fee): December 1 at 11:59pm in all timezones.
FINAL AUDITION DEADLINE: January 1 at 11:59pm in all timezones.
February 1 – applicants will be notified of audition results
March 15 – applicants will be notified of scholarship results
April 1 – non-refundable deposit due to secure your place at camp